My Favorite Kale Salad
If you haven't heard of kale yet or all the amazing benefits of this leafy green, then I dare say you may be living under a rock. Seriously, kale is a media darling and for good reason! Here are just a few of the wonderful health benefits that come from kale:
- It's a powerful anti-inflammatory food with high antioxidant content
- Great natural detoxifier
- Those first 2 points is why kale is a great cancer fighter
- Supports a healthy heart
- Important for healthy vision
There are actually quite a few different ways you can prepare and enjoy kale. I like adding it to my smoothies or into soups and sauces and actually just sauteed with a bit of butter or olive oil and garlic is quite yummy.
But what I'm really excited to share with you is my favorite kale salad recipe. The same salad recipe that my youngest daughter devours! We literally have to cut her off from the kale salad before she eats it all!
Rustic Kale Salad
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale
- 1-2 large meyer lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
- Optional Add-Ins: tangerine slices, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese
- Take 1 bunch of kale and rip leaves off the stem (this step can be quite cathartic)
- Wash the leaves in a salad spinner
- At the bottom of a salad bowl mix together the lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper; I use a fork to whisk the ingredients together
- Add kale leaves to the bowl and massage the kale with the dressing for several minutes; until leaves become wilted (this is the secret critical step in making your kale salad tender and delicious)
- Top with pine nuts or pumpkin seeds PLUS any optional add-ins
You can serve right away or save for later. The best part about this salad is that it actually tastes better the longer it sits. I like to make it at the beginning of the week and then eat off of it all week.